Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I Look Worse in Hats

For some reason, the very nice but misguided folks who've cut my hair of late think I can pull off the choppy, layered look. The kind that says, "Are you READY TO RAAAWWWK, DETROIT?!"

I'm not Joan Jett, people. I'm not even Joan Lunden. I'm edgy as a bagel.

The conversations with the stylist (lordy, call them hairdressers at your peril) typically go like this:

STYLIST: I think some more layers in here will be fun!

ME: It won't be too severe, right?

STYLIST: No, no. Wispy. Sweet. Fun!

ME: That "fun" is scaring me.

STYLIST: Just some architectural chunks in there.

(Pause while I blink and try to parse this. Stylists love to use words like "architectural" that have a different meaning in the parallel reality of chairs that can go up and down via a foot pedal)

ME: Okayyyy... Will it be subtle?

STYLIST: Oh, yeah. Subtle. But fun!

And I end up with a haircut that makes me look like I should be holding Courtney Love's purse as she yarfs into a Vegas toilet somewhere.

I'm in meetings where I want to be taken seriously as a Credible Creative Person and I'm now rockin' a 'do that says Off Her Meds and possibly Flight Risk.

Fun.

No comments: