Friday, March 10, 2006

Elf Needs Lobbyist, Badly

Let's see, the bird flu is coming, obesity is on the rise in children, and New Orleans is awash in contaminated ground sediment, so what do Senators Lieberman, Clinton, and other bipartisan supporters want to task the CDC with?

An exhaustive study on the "impact of electronic media use."

The CDC?!

Videogames and movies don't make me want to go postal. But ill-informed political posturing?

The misappropriation of an agency who, frankly, has bigger and more lethal fish to fry?

The first step of anti-videogame legislation (because, let's face it, that's what this is about, not movies or cell phones) masquerading as research?

Those make the IGDA, the ACLU, and the angel puppies cry.

3 comments:

Cunningham said...

Screw the kids - obesity is on the rise in me.

Anonymous said...

What??

Oh how I wish we didnt have to depend on the government to raise our children through legislation. If only there was a way I as a parent could monitor what my kid is wacthing/playing. If only there was a way for me to get involved. What does this I/O button do?

Kira Snyder said...

Amen, Shahua. There was a joke on SNL last week (I only watch the fake news portion) about Lazy Parenting magazine, and I can easily imagine that publication as a co-sponsor of this initative.

Bill, sue someone or force legislation! It's the American way!