Sunday, November 04, 2007

I HAS A LABOR DISPUTE*

While there are promising rumblings about the negotiations between the WGA and the AMPTP, the strike is still on. Unless word comes down otherwise, I will be joining many of my brother and sister writerfolk at Warner Bros. on the picket line, starting tomorrow morning.

The WGA meeting Thursday night was something else, and not just because I was thisclose to writers whose work inspired me to become a writer in the first place. There were about 3000 of us, and the amped-up vibe of solidarity was palpable. Also cool was the college-reunion feel to the thing, as writers who hadn't seen each other since previous projects had a chance to catch up. We really felt like a community that night, and I deeply hope that's the feeling that we'll carry into the days, weeks, years ahead, strike or no.

The energy at work on Friday? Odd. Half manic DEFCON-1 as we pushed hard to get work in under the wire, half gallows humor, bittersweet, that reminded me of nothing so much as when a company goes through layoffs, complete with farewell hugs and the carrying out of office personal items in boxes and bags.

My show, MOONLIGHT, is on the bubble and it's unclear what a protracted strike would mean for us. I'm worried that the show might get canceled once the shot episodes have all aired. I'm wondering if we'll all get fired off force majeure even if the show isn't canceled. I'm sad at possibly not working with those terrific writers, staff, cast, and crew again, all of whom would feel the effects of a strike. I don't know how hard it will be for me to get my next job when the dust settles. I don't know how hard it will be for my aspiring writer friends to get their first. I'm disappointed at letting down our fans, who love the show and are really upset at the thought of it going away, as they follow the strike news with as much interest as industry insiders. Oh, and I'd prefer not to burn through my savings.

But honestly, all those, while valid, are short-term and largely self-directed concerns and I recognize them as such.

The big picture is a fair agreement for all writers now and in the future.

So I'll be out in Burbank tomorrow in my sneaks, picketing. Can you come join us? You can, says the WGA.

Eyes on the prize. Stay strong.


*At work on Friday, we were joking about lolcat-style picket signs, should we be allowed to write our own. E.g. I CAN HAS FAIR AND REASONABLE CONTRACT? And REZIDUALZ - DO WANT. For the six people driving past who would understand? Hilarious.

4 comments:

Fun Joel said...

Thanks for your update, Kira! Best of luck on making it through this as unscathed as possible. I, for one, support you! :-)

Shawna said...

I love those sign ideas. I'll make you a "Studios = Fail" sign.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kira,

I picketed yesterday outside Warners Bros. and made friends with another MOONLIGHT writer/producer, Jill. See you out there!

Kira Snyder said...

Hey, cool, Baby! Hope to meet you. Jill's awesome. :)